Student Success Guide
WHAT IS STUDENT SUCCESS?
I’m sure you all have your own ideas and opinions on this subject. Many may believe it’s the student that never misses class, studies every day, and graduates with a high GPA. But it can be as simple as grasping difficult concepts, being involved in student organizations or applying what you have learned in the real world. A successful student is one that realizes their journey is not over, they are continually impacting those around them. Here are some tips to help you achieve student success.
1. Master Your Schedule.
There are 168 hours in a week. Make sure you know how you are spending your time. Prepare a weekly schedule, and keep up with it daily. If you find planners or agendas useless, use you smartphone. There are many time management apps you can download.
Great Time Management Apps:
- Astrid Task/Todo list for Android Phones. With the Astrid Task App you will never miss a deadline, plus you will be able to automatic sync your tasks across your phone or Astrid.com. Download for free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timsu.astrid
- My Class Schedule is another Android App Phone. Great App for keeping you up to date with your school work. The app is free with ads or you can purchase it for $1.31.
- Inclass is an Iphone/Ipad App. With this app you are able to organize your schedule, share your notes, plus much more. To download click here http://www.inclassapp.com/
2. Go to Class
Showing up to class is the easiest task you can do. By attending class diligently you show your instructors you care. If you make the effort to show up and pay attention to the key topics being discussed, you definitely improve your chances for getting a good grade. School is a pretty expensive commitment to not commit all the way. If you are allowed to use your smartphone in class, use a note taking app or a note recording app.
- Evernote It’s a free app available to Android or Iphone smartphone users in conjunction with a desktop program. If you take a note using your phone (text, voice recording or snapshot) it will sync to both your online Evernote account and your PC.
- Easy Voice Recorder is an Android App that lets you record your class lecture.
3. Improve your Study Strategy
Come up with a strategy that complements your schedule and learning style. There are many techniques you can employ to make studying less demanding and more effective. For example, you can use Mnemonics to help you memorize difficult material or flash cards to actively retain what you have memorized.
- Mnemonics-” target=”_blank” We all remember from elementary school or junior high the order of planets by repeating these mnemonics, “My Very Eager Mother Just Served us Nine Pickles”, or “My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine Planets.”
- Example of an Anatomy Mnemonic- “A Peaceful Thoughtful Man” for Aortic, Pulmonary, Tricuspid, and Mitral.
- Flash Cards-Are great for kinetic learners, the energy required to make them, plus the active engagement of reading them out load will help you retain the information at a faster pace. However, in order for flash cards to work they must be read out loud daily, at least seven days before your exam.
- Flashcard Apps for Android-StudyDroid is an easy to use flashcard application. You can make your own flashcards on your computer or you can browse the public flashcards at Studydroid.
- Iphone/Ipad app. Flascardlet is free and easy to use you can download.http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flashcards*/id403199818?mt=8
4. Join or Form a Study Group.
Studying with other students will motivate you to keep up with your studying, plus, it’s a great way to meet new people. If you are going to form a study group make sure to limit the group to four to five students. Also select students that share your same dedication to studying and getting good grades. Remember, “Two heads are better than one”.
5. Join Campus Clubs/Organizations.
The skills you learn from a club or organization can help you succeed in your classes too, plus it looks great on your resume. Being part of a club or organization is a great way to network, promote awareness and to force you to stay focus on your schoolwork.
We would love to help you find the program that’s right for you!