The Benefits of Joining a Study Group
Study groups are a great way to stay on top of your classes and reinforce what you’ve learned.
The schools and colleges of Florida Career College actively support student study groups. Instructors agree that study groups improve student performance on tests and in classroom discussions. Many FCC Education Departments help organize study groups, particularly for new students.
Study groups can also help you grow as a student and as a person. According to Grace Fleming, an About.com writer, instructor at Armstrong Atlantic State University and frequent guest on Tennessee Mornings (Nashville) and Fried Talk (Memphis), study groups can improve your personal skills while staying on top of course material. Here are a few of her observations:
- People in study groups are less likely to put off assignments because they know other people are relying on them.
- Study groups force members to become better organized.
- Study groups encourage members to think out loud and explain their positions or ideas. This helps with building communication skills.
- The give-and-take in a study group expands the learning experience. Someone always has a fresh idea and who knows—and maybe it will be helpful for the next test!
- People who participate in study groups feel more confident about reaching their academic goals and are more comfortable in interview situations.
Fleming recommends that study group members agree on rules early on. Decide the “where” and “how” and “who” and stick to them.
If you need help starting or finding a study group to join, contact your campus Education Department for assistance.
They say if you love doing something, you will never call it work. This rings true for most mechanics since they love cars from the way they look to the way they feel and drive.Read More >
Many different professionals work together to achieve a common goal in a hospital or doctor’s office and that is to ensure that each patient is healthy and properly cared for.Two growing healthcare careers are medical assistant technician and patient care technician.Read More >